JCI Greenwich Local President, Jo Nganda attended her local National Recovery Event in Barnet today 18 September 2019 to support those in recovery and heard success stories of Service User participants from around that area.
Recovery Month was created by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), to increase awareness and understanding of mental and substance use disorders and celebrate the people who recover.
During this month, many prevention, treatment, and recovery programs and service providers across the country find creative ways to share their successes and information with neighbors, families, and friends with the goal of promoting recovery and recovery programs.
The year’s theme for the month is Join the Voices for Recovery: Together We Are Stronger. The theme emphasizes the need to share resources and build networks across the country to support recovery. It reminds us that mental and substance use disorders affect us all, and that we are all part of the solution.
We encourage you to celebrate Recovery Month in your community to help bring awareness of recovery and recovery programs to those around you. Here are a few ways you can celebrate:
- Attend the 2019 SMART Recovery National Conference!
- Setup a Facebook fundraiser on your page to support SMART Recovery or another recovery related organization
- Host a walk, run, or ride
- Gather friends, family and community members for a picnic or other low-key event to celebrate and discuss recovery in your local area
- Hold an informational seminar or talk given by a treatment professional or an individual who has experienced recovery
- Sell t-shirts or other promotional products that feature a motivational quote about recovery and/or success
Donations from your celebration can be used to support your local SMART Recovery group.
For more information and ideas on promoting Recovery Month, visit the SAMHSA website.
Tags: JCI GREENWICH, jci greenwich step up, jo nganda, local president, national recovery month, step up
This post was written by jozyzstore